My notes when following these build guides: BuildingAndConfiguringMGOSOnLinux.pdf and OpenSourceBuild__README.html
My Linux knowledge is rather average, i know bits and have used it for over 10 years on and off, occasionally some Solaris, but i am by no means an expert.
- It's not supported yet on 64-bit Linux, use a 32-bit version
- Make sure you install the GNOME Software Development packages, otherwise you will hit an error with xslt-config being missing (libxslt-devel libxslt) but this was a big hassle on RHEL 4.
- If your using Vmware Player and your on a dual core machine, add numvcpus = "2" to your .VMX file to use both CPU's otherwise you'll only ever see 50% CPU usage
- I started with RHEL 4 and then switched to using CentOS coz i didn't have a Redhat Network account which gave me access and yum wasn't playing nice for some reason (couldn't find packages?) where as CentOS just works with any login requirement.
- I used the thoughtpolice vmware image @ http://www.thoughtpolice.co.uk/vmware/#centos4.6
- For Centos the Yum Extender is pretty good for managing packages, use "yum install yumextender"
- I built the FDO, i believe the prebuilt RHEL4 fdo binaries get installed to /usr/local/fdo-3.3.0/lib , the download notes don't make that clear (i guess it would be better as an rpm really?).
- If you have the apr packages installed that will break apache if they are the 0.94 versions, the error message i got was "undefined reference to 'apr_os_uuid_get'". I just removed the package, which did uninstall the default apache httpd and other stuff like subversion also depends on (so it's the wrong thing to do!).
- SSH is your friend :) I use Putty and Winscp on XP
- I changed the fdo build_thirdparty.sh and build_linux.sh from #!/bin/sh to #!/bin/bash after i hit "acinclude.m4:7: warning: underquoted definition of FDO_HELP_STRING"
- Nabble FDO Users and Mapguide are the best source of information and the best place to ask questions for this stuff. Just search before you ask!
- uncomment the lines: AddHandler mgmapagent_handler fcgi and LoadModule mgmapagent_module modules/mod_mgmapagent.so in /usr/local/mapguideopensource/webserverextensions/apache/conf/mapguide.conf or you will get the mapguide.fcgi binary returned :(
- I had a font problem, almost wingdingy which was solved by copying verdana.ttf from /usr/share/fonts/msttcorefonts
BTW My Wmare image ended up being about 6.8 Gb at the end